A good link or explanation for firmware upgrade procedure?

Finished printing out the new leveling rack and pinion. Would like to update firmware to try it out but haven’t done that before. I’ve downloaded the fork on github that includes the new code. Do I install arduino and then flash everything in the zip or just certain files? Anyone have a good tutorial step by step link or a quick explanation? Thanks! (Don’t want to wipe out my new printers code!)

Presuming you’ve saved your settings to EEPROM, it’s pretty easy to upgrade and not lose your settings (keep in mind I’m a software engineer, so it’s all ‘easy’ for me).

Broad steps:

1. Hook up your computer to the USB port on the RAMPS board.
  2. Install the Arduino IDE
  3. In Tools -> Board, select Arduino Mega ADK
  4. In Tools -> Port, select a device that hopefully belongs to your Arduino.
  5. In the upper right corner of the IDE is a magnifying glass, Serial Monitor. Click it and a console will display with text info from the printer. If you get gibberish, change the baud rate. Not sure if the default is 115200 or 230400, but when you get it correct, you’ll know.
  6. Open the Marlin/Marlin.ino file from the github download (decompress it first).
  7. In the upper left of the IDE are two buttons, a check mark and right arrow. The right arrow will compile and upload the new code.
  8. Print away.

Perfect, exactly what I was looking for. Thank You very much!

Having some problems connecting the Arduino IDE with my Arduino Mega board that shipped with the Wilson II. I’m trying to upgrade my firmware and when I connect my USB cable to the board I get an unknown USB connection in device manager. If I connect my Arduino Uno board it is recognized and a COM port is assigned.

Can anyone recommend a solution for this? Do I need a different USB port driver for this board? I’m using the drivers that come with the latest Arduino IDE.

I don’t know where you got your Arduino, but here’s are you options :

1. Cheap clones from china have CH340/341 chips : http://www.wch.cn/download/CH341SER_ZIP.html
  2. Official or “standard built” Arduino : http://www.ftdichip.com/FTDrivers.htm

I had a similar issue when first connecting the Arduino to my Mac. The Arduino that shipped with my Wilson kit included an Arduino clone that requires the CH341 driver. I don’t have a good link for the Windows version of the driver, but you should be able to find it with Google.

I have the board that Marty shipped with my kit. Not even sure exactly which mega board it is. However, the CH340/341 driver update fixed it for me. I simply right clicked on the yellow caution device in the windows device manager view (under USB), pointed the windows driver update to the unzipped drive files and let it install the updated driver. All good now :slight_smile: