Filament Tested: 3DX Carbon Fiber reinforced PTEG

While not specifically WilsonII related, I thought I’d like to show you the results of a filament that’s quite new and most of us have not tested:

I just made a test print using this filament: http://www.3dxtech.com/3dxmax-cfr-carbon-fiber-reinforced-petg/

The suggested print settings were not to hard to achieve. I built at

• Hot End Temp: 240c
  • Bed Temp: 85c
  • Print Speed: 30mm/s
  • Nozzle: I’m using 3DX’s Hercules A2 hardened steel nozzle instead of the standard brass one, as this material is more abrasive than ABS or PLA

Up until now, I’ve only printed ABS on the WilsonII. I was very pleased with the print quality of this material!

I have a full album with high-resolution photos here: https://imgur.com/a/43FXh

Looks good. How much stiffer is it vs ABS? I need a larger and stiffer bed mount for my Wilson2XL, and have been trying to figure out if something like this would help.

Are you willing share any details about the 2XL?

Sure, for what it’s worth. I used 600mm smooth rods and the spreadsheet @mjrice provided to get the extrusion sizes needed. I ended up with 413x417x440 build volume. It has a 350mm^2 800W A/C heater on an aluminum bed, which provided a couple of interesting problems to solve (induced current on the aluminum plate and bed expansion). It heats up insanely quickly (in the center), but still have to wait for the entire bed to finish heating, otherwise there is some very entertaining warping that happens - > 2mm.

I have problems with Y movement vibrations, and have to be careful with the slicing to minimize it. Jerk is the issue, coupled with the print velocity. I’m switching to steel cord belts, as I can see a ±Y movement difference in the vibrations. I’ve ordered some toys from Adafruit (data logger, accelerometer) so I can characterize the vibrations and see objectively what further changes help. I’ve already switched to 1/4 steps, a 0.9 degree stepper motor, SilentStepStick driver - which is awesome BTW, and 16 tooth drive gears, which have all helped some. But I wasn’t really having problems with stepper slippage as I figured out later. The bed overhangs the rail mounts so much that it flops around with the Y jerk directional changes. Acceleration governed changes are fine. It’s really interesting to see the dynamics of the shake, as it’s hard to tell where the problem is coming from. The build table doesn’t feel floppy, but it is under the correct circumstances, it looks like a diving board. It’ll be interesting to see the accelerometer readings.

I’m fairly sure as the Z print height increases, I’ll start having X sway problem, and will be adding upper corner bracing to address that, maybe with a second cross beam.

To make it more stable overall, I’m thinking of increasing the X and Y footprints by widening the extrusion mounts (i.e. most of the printed parts).

I have hopes of adding a bowden extruder, or maybe a E3D Cyclops/Chimera, for dual color printing.

Overall, it’s nice to be able to print multiple pieces at once, each one to completion before starting the next (via Simplify3D). I ran across Plater, which does an excellent job arranging optimal build plater(s) for STL’s you give it. If I was so inclined, I could print this clock in one go. I might be inclined if I don’t need the printer for a week or so, and get a filament runout sensor going.

If you plan on making the printer more stable, (not that I have any problems at the moment, I don’t print high objects), I plan on adding an extrusion parallel to the x-axis beneath at the end of the user side of the y-axis, which will be used to add a z-brace to the z-extrusions (similar to the most popular wanhoa i3/maker select mod).

An engineering friends swears I should do that, so I plan to.

Interesting. I’d definitely have to modify the Y end’s since my bed extends ~130mm outside those ends. I had considered mounting the entire structure to a 3/4" MDF board and doing a similar 45 degree brace to the board. This is an example I was looking at for how to secure it to the frame and MDF. Or printed parts.

Looks sharp. How does the weight of a print in carbon fiber compare to ABS or PLA?

This print has me thinking about carbon fiber structures wrapped in NinjaFlex. Time to figure out how to get dual extruders working :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing.

Wow. Thanks for writing that up. I’ve been thinking about building one with a 300 x 300mm 24V bed. Your write-up gives me a glimpse into issues I may have to address.

What is the advantage of being able to print multiple pieces at once, but each one to completion before starting the next?

Higher quality prints (doesn’t move off the part every layer), quicker prints (fewer travel moves), parts are available sooner, if you have a print problem - stepper shift, run out of ink, etc. - it’s likely that fewer items will be affected.

That makes sense. I don’t see a setting to enable this in Simplify3D. Do just need to assign a different process to each part?

I found the setting in Simplify3d. Here are some instructions in case anyone is interested - https://www.simplify3d.com/support/tutorials/multi-part-printing/

Hi all, sorry I’ve been AFK. I need to do more tests with the PETG CF filament. After that first test part, I have had issues with it not printing well. Bottom layer looks good, then next layers get all wonky.

If I can get it to print properly, I’ll test is weight and strength compared to ABS

Also, Very interesting read about the 2XL. Looks great & now I see why it’s challenging to make a solid printer with large build area